Use the links on the side to navigate through my blog!
Got requests? Comments? Anything at all?
Leave me an e-mail! firstname.lastname@example.org
Friday, April 10, 2009
Summer Wardrobe Essentials
It's getting close to the time where we pack away our cozy sweaters and boots, and break out breezy fabrics and flipflops. Dark reds, blues and browns are replaced with light or bright shades.
So, what does a girl need to have a complete wardrobe? Everything. I'm kidding (sort of). I'm the kind of girl who doesn't stick to a list, but I've broken down the basics that make a great and versitile summer wardrobe.
Having a closet full of clothes is not the same as having key, unique things that can be paired with timeless things you bought last season (denim shorts, that perfect white skirt). A few great peices, last years summer wardrobe and some accessories are all you need to acheive a great summer look.
Be sure to get some lightweight bottoms. I'm more of a short-shorts kind of girl, but mix in a variety of lengths if they're what you feel condfient in. I used to hate capris and cropped pants, but I've seen them come in this season and I'm begginng to change my opinion towards them. Dresses and skirts will become your best friend in the summer, they're so easy and versitile. Wear them over your great new bikini, or dressed up for an evening date.
You're also probably going to need some beach/pool gear. I think it's good to have two or three swimsuits that can be mixed and matched. It's really nice to have a cover up for at the beach and it gives your skin a bit of a break from the sun. A beach sized towel is also a must, and make it cute and unique! A good pair (or two) of sunglasses will prove to be super great in the summer. You can throw them on if you're too lazy to put on eye-makeup (guilty), and to prptect your gorgeous eyes from the sun's harsh rays. A beach bag or tote is also great to have and you can find them in colours that coordinate with your bikini and coverup.
Lightweight cotton blends are great choices for tops and shirts in warm weather. A few solid colored tanks or tees easily paired with more brightly colored shorts or skirts. It's a good idea to select simple bottoms and pair them with a fun top. V-necks and tanks are good styles to select; they keep your body temperature cooler while showing off your tan. Elbow length cardigans are good picks for evenings spent outdoors when the temperature drops and you need a little jacket.
Summer footwear is just like clothes... light, open and airy. Flip-flops and sandals are a great way to show off summer pedicures, and keep your feet cool all at the same time. Sneakers can also come in handy when walking on hot sand or when playing at the park. Accessories for summer should be bold, colorful and bigger than what you would normally wear. Everything seems more fun in the summertime; you should be ready to have a good time at a moment's notice. Summer is also a good time to wear foot jewelry, such as a simple toe ring or ankle bracelet.
Have fun this summer and expand your wardrobe with colors and styles you wouldn't normally wear. Now is the perfect time to change your style. Adding fabulous styles to simple essentials will create a complete summer wardrobe.
Lots of love!
I LOVE YOU 4:14 PM
Sunday, December 21, 2008
Back to Basics
Since I'm just starting this blog, let's begin with the basics. A girl can
have all the trendiest peices in the world ... but a wardrobe with no basics will NOT get you very far! It's okay to invest a bit more in these because they'll never go out of style or use and they're something you'll want to have great quality.
Here are my top 10 basics:
10. A great, everyday bag. This'll hold your tampons, cell phone and all the other crazy things we tend to carry in our purse. I currently have everything from a toothbrush to a big ol' thing of St. Ives Vanilla Bean lotion in mine. So, I definitly need something roomy but of course cute! You'll want this purse to be in a classic colour like black or brown. Easy and versatile.
9. Plain white tees. These may not be trendy, but with some cute accesories they'll get you everywhere. My secret? I buy a pack of Hane's mens vnecks. They're cheap, and great.
8. Classic, feel good jeans. Find a great pair that aren't too trendy, are good quality and show off your ass...ets ;) Make sure they're comfortable and can be dressed up or down. Dark wash, bootcut jeans will do the job for most.
7. White Button Up. This will take you from the bar to a job interveiw. Get one that fits close to the body, but isn't too tight. Try the "swimmers test" and move your arms like you're swimming. If it's uncomfortable or your tummy shoes; it's not the right one for you.
6. A Little Black Dress. Come on, what basic list it complete without this? Most people say go for simple, but I think a girl's LBD should reflect her personality. Whatever that means to you. Make sure it isn't too trendy of course, you still want to be able to wear it next season.
5. Tanks tanks tanks. Perfect for the gym, lounging and layered under sweaters and see-through tops. I love having a variety of colours from my friend ROYGBIV, but if they don't really fit in your wardrobe stick to black and white. I'd avoid the lace ones for these, because in experiance they rip really easily.
4. A nice bra. Come on, we've all seen those poor girls with bra bulge. Please, don't let it be you. Get a nude coloured one that's comfortable and FITS. I could go on forever about bad fitting bras. Go into your local Victoria's Secret or La Senza and get a fitting done. I know, I know, kind of akward. But really, it's not. Come on, it's not as if you're going to see this woman again.
3. Sweats. Caution: Please, do not wear these out. But, these do have many uses. They're great for lounging around in the dorm and bumming around on PMS days. Get some cute ones that bring out your personality. Go fun with these! Want yellow, lime green? Go for it.
2. A Nice Jacket. Go as simple as you want, but make sure it goes with the majority of your wardrobe. This is good for chilly summer nights, and something to throw on before a party.
1. Spanx. Seriously, this is my lover. No matter your size, they'll make your body look ten times better. Obviously, don't wear them all the time. But they'll give you that extra VAVAVOOM in your cute new cocktail dress!
La la love,
I LOVE YOU 4:29 PM
Birthdate: December 17th